Summertime...

I know I haven't blogged in a while, I've been busy at school.  Mostly this is for my own benefit because I doubt many people read it, but it is good for me.  So... it's summer in the city of BEMIDJI!

Yay!  Summer is my favorite time of the year by far because it's actually WARM in MinnySnowta!  I can get kind of depressed and lethargic in the winter, so summer is my JOY!  I do love the fall, spring (except all the mud and mush), as well as winter how it looks.  It's all a gift from God and I'm trying to learn to love every season as well as learn to love every season of my life.  It all looks so different.

I have two years of college at Oak Hills done with.  Just when I think I can't take any more homework it ends and I can breathe in the SUMMER!  Yes I am pretty excited about it.  I started to read a little for school but mostly I am enjoying working with a family and kids, reading for my own enrichment, going to Bible studies/ hanging out with friends, cleaning, gardening, etc.

Brittany guess what?  We painted the kitchen light green!  It looks amazing with it a lot lighter.

Today I bought some tomato plants and flowers to pot at the Bemidji green house co-op.  I love co-ops.  I planted them in the yard and in some pots.  It was hard work.  At the same time it was also really satisfying to do something myself.  People don't like to work hard normally.  We get so used to "convenience."  But often the things that take time are so worth it:  meeting with people in person, spending time outside or reading a book instead of watching TV so often, giving resources to people in need, sacrificing for others, eating healthy, cooking real food.  It's all so worth it.

I think in the US people used to work hard physically, which built character and promoted satisfaction and fulfillment in life.  When we today get everything instantly and don't have to work for it, there is no satisfaction and we have no patience or peace.  I would rather physically work hard and be able to have a mind at rest.  Simple pleasures can be so often missed if we don't take the initiative.  You can bike to work while enjoying the view and the summer breeze, go for a walk and watch the sunset, go swimming with kids enjoying their laughter, garden and feel the cool earth between your fingers, make something BEAUTIFUL!

I believe God put us on this earth to make things beautiful, enriching the lives of others, and being able to enjoy life because we are living rightly.  I believe things should be a lot more simple than they are.  I like to know that my life makes a difference when I see people smile.  I like knowing where my food comes from and taking part in my community.

This reminds me of the book of Ecclesiastes where it says that "there is a time for everything... a time for sorrow and a time for joy... for sowing and for reaping.... there is nothing new under the sun"

New Living Translation
So I saw that there is nothing better for people than to be happy in their work. That is why we are here! No one will bring us back from death to enjoy life after we die.

I don't think work should be this endless stressful thing of timesheets and statistical analysis.  Work should be a way to better the world in a direct way, interacting with others in a common goal, not just trying to make a bunch of money or "be on top."  How can we measure our worth by how much we have?  Why can't we be grateful for what we have and strive to share our joy with others.  WE ALREADY HAVE AN ABUNDANCE!  And it's not because we "worked so hard for it."  We are basically born into a rich family in that we live in America (at least a lot of America is).  

Remember your blessings and let's try to "live simply so that others may simply live." --Mother Theresa.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming New...

Hi everybody!

God you are so good : )